Friday 25 January 2013

The Supernatural Love Complex


Not that SUPERNATURAL....
Adulthood means absolutely nothing until you become a parent. Until then we are childlike still self absorbed, narcissistic and selfish with our heads up our rear ends. True maturity begins when you bring something living into this world. Not your creation but Gods’. You count for very little until you can feel the very livelihood of another human as being dependent on your own, until you can be last or even skip a turn purely for the joy of your own. There lies the factual challenge.
Getting Parenthood right however is an entire book plus three sequels or so I have heard.
I wouldn’t know of course, I am yet to qualify for this heavenly responsibility. This is purely from observation and the accounts of well matured parents, my own included. 

My Claim to PARENTHOOD
I can relate in that when I think about my niece and nephews; I may have not been pregnant with either of them but to my credit have watched them grow, changed their nuclear bomb like nappies, read them their most favourite and yet painfully tedious bedtime stories, fed them mush and wiped it off me once they have regurgitated it onto my favourite t-shirts, the works.
On these grounds I would surely knock the teeth out of any smooth talking hooligan who tries his mischief with my ‘wittle Gabby’ (she’s 16 now and will probably hate me for life!) and I would be damned if I did not spend my last dollar, time and time again to see anyone of my boys smile be it for ice-cream or probably    air-time for Whatsapp Facebook/ My space or whatever!

You are probably thinking”Steph are you?...Oh my Gosh you’re pregnant aren’t you?!”. Sorry to disappoint you but as mother would say “asi wamupopo?” (Are you now a self reproducing Paw-Paw tree?) Yes even mum knows it has been a WHILE! So no I’m not pregnant however I have been feeling rather broody. (Sperm donors are welcome!)

I’ve wandered of the point again so, Take two! (Twins I’d love twins!)

What has both inspired and taught me is the manner in which my parents have handled my siblings and I. Regardless of the messes we have gotten into they have never given up on either one of us ‘kiddos’. Even when I think back to the prodigal son/ daughter stunts we have pulled not ONCE have they completely forsaken us. Oh the folks get pissed alright words fly in different directions, a couple of slaps too but I know for certain that when I lift a frail cry of help regardless of what shade of douche I have been there is no mountain my parents will not move to rescue me. That is true adulthood, the BIG leagues, the REAL ‘makoya’, it is LOVE! 

This SUPERNATURAL Love
I am convinced that vabereki (parents) are the walking talking equivalent of Gods’ WORD of unconditional Love in human form. Now that is saying a lot but would you consider the faith and undying endurance of your parent(s)/ guardian(s), however flawed as NATURAL? I highly doubt it, that is some SUPERNATURAL stuff and since I do not understand it yet I will do my darnest to respect it and I strongly suggest you do the same. Not out of fear but compassion, surely the folks have feelings too of hurt rejection and frustration, yet they put those to rest and still hang around, you know in case we need them.

Life is too short and hectic to rage war within your own camp. Put the pettiness aside and make peace, respect the words and advice spoken after all they have been adults in this crazy world a whole lot longer than you have. Let’s face it probably sooner than planned it will be your turn to explain the super duper natural love complex to your rebellious teen(s), wouldn’t it have been a lot easier if someone somewhere(that’s me!) had told them this very story? How about you act it out, starting this very moment?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment