Saturday 27 April 2013

DJ Oil : Slicker than Oil and 'Groovier' than Austin!

Hey guys! Gosh I missed you! My life has been in weird places but never you mind let’s talk music (even if it’s late)! I had the pleasure of watching and listening to French muso, Dj Oil spin at Red Bar on Friday the 26th of April. This was courtesy of Af de Harare, a teaser for the kick a** gig that was to come during the collaborative performance during HIFA (Which I missed *bangs head into wall*).
Though I did not get to watch Oil for long I had one word to describe his mix and sound…GROOVY  Baby! Okay, okay I know those are two words but his music did sound Austin Powers groovy! That is to say it was populated by 60s funk and some killer soulful Motown sounds I didn’t even know existed! It was, just as my sister said in passing an ‘acquired taste’ however this 40 year old cool –guy can spin for my musical pallet ANY day! And from the patrons that ‘grooved’ to the beat, (Including a handful of The Monkey Nuts’ band members, Mbira diva Hope Masike and rocker Dimitri to name a few) I’m sure many more would concur. Check out my badly recorded mini clips of his set below AND check out DJ Oil’s Profile Here! #TSKC


No comments:

Post a Comment