Thursday 7 June 2012

Rarai Zvakanaka Mudara Sam: Sam Levy Makes A Tragic Exit

The news of Sam Levy’s death comes as sudden to many and irrelevant to some. I couldn’t help but choke up just a little at the news this morning (via Twitter naturally it is the 21st century newspaper). As I mentioned before, a few may find the loss of this tycoon unimportant but to those who may have known him personally or had even the most short-lived encounter with him, Sam Levy was not a character one would be swift to forget. He was never out of wit as he broke into occasional Shona sharing jokes with his employees at varied positions, from bathroom janitors, security personnel to his secretary and accountants.
It was tempting at first glance to put him in the grumpy old rich intimidating man category but not rightly so, as a bit of a stare would result in a slight double take. The contrast of a Jewish, Shona speaking, humble millionaire took a while to absorb and adjust to. This, however did not give room to floppy-shoddy work and defaulted payments, Sam managed to create a balance between the occasional cheeriness and that of the fierce Landlord quite well and I’m sure tenants old and new of the esteemed Sam Levy Village will concur as his son Isaac walks briskly in this path. It got the job done, clearly. 
 Sam Levy in relation to my life, was that well of wisdom I got momentary drops of inspiration that helped me set my life back on track. The random thought of His life and legacy often gets me back at that study table when I occasionally get lost again. Though I may have been irrelevant to him (I  hope not but I probably was ), it is my desire to be as much a blessing, success story and overall business Ninja like him, to still thrive at Zimbabwe’s’ worst. A man who saw potential from miles and sowed the very faith in people they didn’t have in themselves. The memory of him parking his old as he and just as classic Cadillac, waved hello and strode down Julia’s Parade to his office/ store (which up till this day has no name I’m sure), this will forever play as my fondest memory of Mr Sam Levy the, Sam the Village family had grown fond off. (he reminded me loads of Tony from the Sopranos only a nicer less mafia type…Too soon?)  After such a long and traumatic battle with Cancer, the only silver lining is he has at last found peace and rest and it is indeed the worlds’ loss. Rarai Zvakanaka Mudara Sam.

No comments:

Post a Comment